Speed & Agility > Introduction
An essential element of successful Rugby League performance is to accelerate, change direction quickly and deceive the opposition. This requires development of speed and agility.
In Rugby League, the ability to accelerate, decelerate and rapid movements in all directions is more important than simply running fast
To analyse this element of fitness we need to consider the components of speed and agility separately. These are:
- speed strength - force required to facilitate acceleration, deceleration and change direction
- agility - ability to explosively brake, change direction and accelerate again
How can speed and agility improve my performance?
Speed and agility training is an integral part of training for all top players, and can help you successfully perform the following Rugby League movements.
- evading tacklers
- chasing the opposition
- change direction quickly
- start and stop effectively
- react to situations
- Retreating to referees and assistant referee commands
- Avoiding injury and much more.
Decison making is an integral skill - you've made the right decision - now you need the speed and agility to get there!